What’s the High School Challenge?
The Summer Reading game for older teens. Read or complete challenges to earn points, badges and a chance to win bigger prizes. Each person can play once.
Three ways to earn points and prizes:
- Read about an hour a day for up to 45 days.
- Attend library events for teens and count each event as a day’s reading.
- Complete an additional challenge $50 or $100 gift certificates for collage: curated arts and craft supplies.
How do I sign up?
- Create an account with a username, email address, and password.
- Enter your name, grade, and high school. Be sure to use your real name so that we can give you prizes!
- Select “High School Challenge”
How do I keep track?
- Sign in and log every day you read or complete a challenge.
- Fill in the “...enter your reading here” box (numbers only).
- You can enter several days at once.
- When you complete a level, you’ll earn a badge and get a reminder to pick up your prize(s).
When can I collect?
- Level one prizes available June 28-August 31
- Level two prizes available July 13-August 31
- Level three prizes available July 28-August 31
All prizes must be claimed by August 31, 2019.
What are the teen prizes?
For each level complete, you choose:
- great teen book OR
- a coupon (for example: free pizza, Dutch Bros, doughnut, swimming entry, laser tag) OR
- Bluetooth earbuds, a power bank, a bath bomb, or a journal OR
- a chance to win a $100 collage or Electric Castle’s Wunderland gift cards, or a Trail Blazers package
- At level 3, you’ll choose from the above prizes and will also receive the Summer Reading T-shirt (while supplies last).
- All finishers are entered into a drawing for the Experience Portland Family Fun Package -- win tickets to sporting events, theatre, music and more, with an overnight stay in a downtown hotel
- High school finishers are entered into a drawing for a $250 Visa card.
- Stream or download music or a movie from the library with the hoopla app (library card and password required)
- Check out a magazine from the library on your phone, tablet, or computer (library card and password required)
- Attend a free summer concert and listen to live music
- Read to a young child and talk about the story, helping get them ready for reading (and it can count on their gameboard for Summer Reading, too!)
- Teach tech to an adult--show an Aunt how to Snapchat, Grandpa how to use Facebook, Mom or Dad how to stream music or listen a podcast
- Learn or practice a language through Mango Connect languages on the library’s site (library card and password required)
- Download an audiobook or an ebook from Libby
I’d rather have a paper gameboard
No problem! Come to the library starting June 14th and get one.